General Roofing Systems Canada provides emergency roof repairs throughout Canada. Emergency Roof Repairs are completed in the following cities: Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Lloydminster, Saskatoon, Regina, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Canmore, Banff, Cranbrook, Kelowna, Vancouver, Whistler, Winnipeg, Toronto and points between. British Columbia. Alberta. Saskatchewan. Manitoba. Ontario.
Today in Calgary, Alberta , wind storms created havoc for all commercial and residential owners. The high winds caused shingles to be blown of rooftops and even entire commercial roofs to be blown completely away. GRS has received several reports of skylights and shingles being torn completely off and thrown into traffic. As a result of the vast amounts of damage surrounding the Calgary area, the GRS crews are at capacity.
As of Sunday November 27, 2011 at 18:30, severe weather warnings for high winds are still in effect for the following areas:
Airdrie, Bow Island, Bow Valley (Provincial Park), Brooks, Calgary, Crowsnest Calgary (Olympic Park), Canmore, Cardston, Claresholm, Cochrane, Drumheller High River Kananaskis (Nakiska Ridgetop) Lethbridge Medicine Hat Milk River Okotoks Onefour Pincher Creek Stavely Strathmore Suffield Sundre Taber Three Hills Vauxhall Waterton Park Willow Creek (Provincial Park).
High Winds Cause Havoc to Roofs and buildings
Downtown Calgary and surrounding areas have had buildings glass shatter causing Calgary Firefighters to scramble in attempt to clear all debris to prevent any injuries happening to citizens.
The amount of damage that this wind storm has caused is impressive. Normally with wind storms the damage is isolated to one city and area, yet this particular storm is spreading its wrath to all of Southern Alberta. The damage that is causing is not isolated to only knocking down trees and power line. We have been receiving various types of reports of damage being caused.
In Airdrie we received reports of a church losing its siding, while in Fort Macleod, a gas station had its entire roof blown away. In Beiseker, grain silos and commercial roofs were being blown completely away.
The same variety of damage has been reported all the way to Lethbridge and surrounding areas. Grass fires have even began to occur due to the intense wind.
At the top of the Calgary Bow tower, the winds were recorded to be at a dangerous 140 km per hour, whereas in other parts of Southern Alberta is has been reported the wind gust are even stronger in areas such as Nanton and its surrounding municipalities.
The 911 call centers have been over loaded with calls relating to roof damage. As a result of this Calgary has engaged the Municipal Emergency Plan.
Steps for Fixing Damaged Roofs When high winds blow shingles, tile, and metal or damage your skylights:
1. Emergency Roof Repair Services. Call a roofing company and get on their emergency service list. In our case, we are asking emergency call ins to continue calling other Calgary Roofing Companies to be sure the soonest available emergency crews can come and assess the damage. At GRS, we are keeping a running list of home-owners and businesses that require emergency roof repair service and we are dealing with the repairs on a first call – first serve basis.
2. In extreme high winds, such as those in Calgary today, for your safety we advise you to stay away from windows and stay indoors. Due to the winds blowing off various forms of sidings, tiles, shingles skylights etc., it is unsafe to be outside with this vast amount of debris being blown around.
3. Roof Insurance: Be sure the roofing company selected to attend the repair of your shingles, commercial roof, metal flashing, or skylight keeps excellent record. You will need accurate photos before and after the roofing repairs. Make sure to ask the emergency roofers to provide you with copies of photos for your roof insurance company. Also, ask the roofing company to quote you for a complete replacement and have photos documenting all damage to your roof or skylights. After the immediate roof repairs are done, you can then address your possible roof insurance claim properly. Commercial properties are more apt to engage their Commercial Insurance Adjusters right at step one.
4. Choosing a Roofing Company: Be sure the roofing company you choose to do the roof repair work has a City Business License, have provincially incorporated roofers, Better Business Bureau registered and able to provide written receipts. Ensure that they take photos of work done for your roof insurance companies records. A quick check of complaints registered at the Better Business Bureau on line can help determine if the company is reliable. If it is a commercial or industrial roof repair, be sure the emergency roofers are qualified specific to the commercial roof system type.
5. After the emergency roof repairs are done, you have will have photos of the roof damage, and will now be dealing with your roof insurance company. Remember that insurance companies will refer you or want you to deal with specific roofers. However, in many instances, you have a choice as to which roofing company actually does the work. High Wind Shingles (Wind Resistant Shingles) Shingle manufacturers do make shingles rated for high winds.
Until next time
The Staff at GRS
General Roofing Systems Canada (GRS)
24 Hour Emergency Roof Repair: Call +1.877.497.3528 toll-free.
Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Lloydminster, Saskatoon, Regina, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Canmore, Banff, Cranbrook, Kelowna, Vancouver, Whistler, Winnipeg, Toronto and points between. British Columbia. Alberta. Saskatchewan. Manitoba. Ontario.